Attractions

  • Historic Wharf - Port of Bourke

    Address:
    Oxley Street, Bourke, New South Wales, Australia .

    At the end of Sturt Street is the Port O' Bourke and the location of the old Bourke wharves. A replica wharf now stands just slightly down stream form the originals. 

  • Back O' Bourke Exhibition Centre

    Address:
    Mitchell Highway, Bourke, New South Wales, Australia .

    The Back O' Bourke Exhibition Centre brings to life the story of Outback New South Wales and Bourke.
     
    Enjoy the interactive stories of the Inland Sea, the Wool story, Riverboats, conflict and much more. Discover more about the life of Henry Lawson 'Outback' and marvel at the stories of our women of the west.
     
    A two day ticket to the Exhibition Centre is available and joint tickets can be purchased to enjoy a cruise on the PV Jandra. During the busy winter tourist season the Exhibition Centre is open 7 days per week from 9am till 5pm. The Back O' Bourke Exhibition Centre is now also home to the Bourke Tourist Information Centre.
     
    A wonderful cafe sits alongside the Exhibition Centre. Enjoy a coffee in the bush surrounds.

  • Bourke Historic Weir

    Address:
    Anson Street, Bourke, New South Wales, Australia .

    The Lock and Weir

    The lock at the Bourke Weir was the first to be built on a river anywhere along the Murray or Darling River systems. Built in 1897, the lock and weir is also the only one of its kind built on the Darling River.

  • Fred Hollows Grave

    Address:
    Kidman Way, Bourke, New South Wales, Australia .

    Bourke is the resting-place for 1991 Australian of the Year Professor Fred Hollows. Also in the cemetery are the graves of several Afghans associated with the camel trade that ceased in the 1920's.

  • Mt Oxley

    Address:
    Kamilaroi Highway, Bourke, New South Wales, Australia .

    You can't come to the Outback without a visit to Mount Oxley. Go at sunset if you have the chance. It is amazing. About a 40 minute drive from Bourke towards Brewarrina. Get some information from the tourist information centre along with a permit.

  • Old Crossley Engine

    Address:
    Sturt Street, Bourke, New South Wales, Australia .

    Located at the Wharf area is a fully restored 1923 vintage Crossley oil fuelled stationary engine.
    The engine manufactured in Manchester England, is a fine example of an early four stroke diesel type engine. This particular engine was originally used from 1923 to 1938 in the Sydney Power House to generate electricity for Sydney. It was later used in the Allowrie Butter factory at Coffs Harbour and then went to Narromine to be used to pump water for crop irrigation. Donated to the Bourke Shire Council in 2002, it was fully restored to working condition and is started at 12pm Monday to Friday.

  • Gundabooka National Park

    Address:
    Kidman Way, Bourke, New South Wales, Australia .

    Gundabooka National Park is without a doubt the best National Park in the State of NSW. A diverse cultural story, walking trails, camping facilities, rock art and just off the highway. About 50Km south of Bourke. Call in to the National Parks office and pick up a brochure.

     

  • Back O' Bourke Gallery

    Address:
    Mitchell Highway, Bourke, New South Wales, Australia .

    The Back O’ Bourke Gallery is situated on the banks of the Darling River at North Bourke. Jenny Greentree’s art is inspired by the rich Australian outback scenery and together with her husband Steve they have developed a gallery that never ceases to impress the many visitors that pass through its doors. This working commercial gallery is a must see gallery on the ‘Outback Art Gallery Loop’ from Lightning Ridge to Broken Hill and her original works and reproductions have found homes around Australia and overseas. 

  • Louth

    Address:
    Kidman Way, Bourke, New South Wales, Australia .

    Louth is a small settlement on the banks of the Darling River, 132 km north of Cobar. In 1859 T.A. Matthews built a pub to cater for the passing river and land-based trade. Louth was used as a stopover on the famous Cobb & Co coach run. In 1888 the Dunlop property to the south of the town became the first sheep station in the world to use mechanical shears.

    Today, Louth has a population of under 50 and for most of the year it is a sleepy little hamlet. The Famous Annual Race Meeting - The Louth Races brings people from far and wide and the town becomes a vibrant place on this weekend.